Wednesday 19 August 2009

secrets...


I have a few...do you?


Here are some images of a Secret Belgian Book binding class, I had yesterday, with Rae, a very talented, giving and patient tutor.


There is something that feels really good about  making a book book...


I loved the whole process, from choosing the papers, thinking about and assembling the cover boards, choosing the binding, in this case, a heavy linen thread, beautifully hand dyed by Rae.


Running the linen through a block of pure bees wax...so pure in fact, it still had bits in it and a strong honey fragrance!


The assembling...hm mm, I needed to stay calm and concentrate.
Listening to every word Rae said...


And after a whole day...voila...my first Secret Belgian Bound Book...
Certainly some mistakes along the way...and could I do it again...well, we will see!





Here is a link if you want to give it a try...Secret Belgian Binding