Wednesday 9 July 2008

Orange Days...


This has been a bit of a roller coaster week for me. I am certainly in need of a bit of 'orange' therapy.
At the moment I have my 2 precious nieces over for a few days...and it's freezing outside (could snow tomorrow)...all the signs pointed to the making of the best flourless orange cake...The girls love cooking, especially cakes!



First start by simmering 2 whole organic oranges in a pot for 2 hours...yes 2 hours.
While this is happening, prepare and line a spring form cake pan with butter, flour and baking paper lining.
Let oranges cool down, then chop them up, skin and all, remove pips and put them in a food processor.



Then add 250gr of almond meal, to the processor, I like to toast mine...



6 free free range eggs (organic)
200gr of sugar (I use less)
If I feel like it, I sometimes add some powdered cardamon at this stage.



Then process the whole lot, until it looks like this.


Bake in a pre-heated 180C oven for 60 minutes...check the cake, it may need more time.
It's a heavy moist cake.
I make an orange syrup to serve with this cake.

"Orange is a power color. It is one of the healing colors. It is said to increase the craving for food. It also stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange means vitality with endurance. People who like orange are usually thoughtful and sincere. Lady luck's color is orange. I have been told that if a change of any kind is needed in life, just burn an orange candle for 7 nights.

Orange Energy
Orange is associated with the benign warmth of the sun. A dynamic color to be sure, orange offers a thoughtful control.
Curiosity is a driving characteristic of orange, and with it comes exploration of new things.

Put some orange in your life when you want:

*to spice things up when you feel time is dragging
*to become more involved in something
*to increase creativity
*relief from things becoming too serious "

Extract from an article on the colour orange...