Thursday 29 August 2013

cooking up a storm...




It's been more than a month since I wrote a post!!!
Time just flies when your cooking up a storm!
Hmmm, where to begin!
How about in my studio, where I've been making screens for screen printing!
Have you ever made a screen? Not easy!!! I'm using some old wooden frames that I've had lying around for years and I bought some screening fabric through Ebay.
I found the old staple gun and watched the "how to" videos on Youtube...well my 1st screen turned out a bit wonky...but I'm happy to say it works!
I'm still experimenting with the technique of breakdown screen printing...I love the spontaneity of it all. No need need to think too much. It's quite the relaxing process, great way to wind down after cooking up storms, like having a good slow G&T? well maybe not :)

Cooking? Yes, I'm cooking. For those who know me, this is no surprise!
I like food and cooking, well maybe 'love' food and cooking...So I'm following a dream here and have enrolled at a college and I'm studying cookery...full time!
And I'm loving it!!!! Chefs uniform and all....well maybe not so much the uniform :)
So now I'm whisking, chopping, stirring and chiffonading  in between printmaking! (Did I mention I think I'm the most mature of the mature age students in my class).
Am I learning? Yes, loads! For someone who thought they had a pretty good knowledge about cooking!!!!

On one of my free days, I'm teaching collagraph printmaking at a local community house...the sessions started yesterday. I just love collagraph printmaking!!! I really do.
I'll put together a 'how to' collagraph soon with photo's, for anyone out there thats is interested in this lovely technique!
Just stay tuned.

For now, I'll leave you with some Instagram pics...


I have an art wall in my kitchen (yes I do) and my father gave me this lovely oil painting to add to the collection...all food only inspired art  in my kitchen :)


My brother and sister in law went on a trip to Japan and brought home this happy skull cookie cutter as a gift...they know us too well!!!


I joined a rally/march against one of the dreaded junk food giants moving into the hills area, where I live with thousands of others, who love our home and don't feel that The Hills and these guys 'fit'.
Personally... I don't feel they fit anywhere on planet earth...but they are here... making a huge dint on the health of humanity and our environment.
If your interested to know more, please check out    http://www.burgeroff.org


And ending on a nice note...look at our boy Seb!!! 8 months old and still growing :)

Til next time
Jo